Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Eric's family

Yesterday was our nephew, Bryce's, 7th birthday!  I had the privilege to go over Brian and Gretchen's house with my mama and daddy-in-law to celebrate with Bryce and all the kids and it was so much fun!  I absolutely love my new family and I have loved spending so much time with them recently.  On Saturday I joined Brian and Gretchen and the kids at Grants football game and, even though they lost, I was so proud of Grant and his team and how hard that little boy has worked this year.  I really have loved getting to go to a few of Grants football games.  Mostly because seeing Grant in all his pads and uniform just tickles me... they are the cutest.  Saturday night I got to babysit Max and Neveah and take them to Stony Point for the lighting of the big Christmas tree... and they just make me so happy because of what perfect children they are and how silly they can be.  I was just constantly surrounded by the sweetest kids this weekend!
I thought after Eric left that it might be hard spending time with his family.  I was scared that I might start to pull away because being with them just makes me think of Eric more and I'm always wishing that he were there, joining in on the memories that we're making, which in turn makes me a little sad. Though, he is constantly in my thoughts so I like to think that he's there in spirit, through my heart.  The most heart-breaking thing is thinking that Claire, Davis and possibly Max and Neveah won't remember Eric when he gets back.  The thought is literally making my eyes fill up with tears.  I know they will get to know him and grow close with him again but it just breaks my heart to think about because Eric loves his nephews and niece and Max and Neveah more than I think anyone knows.  He really gets such joy out of being around kids and playing with them... I know one day he will be a great daddy. ;)  Anyway, I'd say that I proved myself wrong.  Being around Eric's family doesnt make me more sad or make me miss him more... it makes me more proud and more grateful that I married an amazing man who happens to have an incredible family.  Last night, as I was playing a card game with my new nephews, it just hit me so hard how blessed I am to have this new addition of family.
I gained a lot more than just an incredible husband when I married Eric. And that overwhelms me with joy and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment