Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Seasons of Marriage

This morning at church, Brandon, our pastor, made a comment about Seasons of life.  God said in the bible that there will be different seasons in life; some filled with more openness, hope, and happiness and some filled with distance, dissatisfaction and discouragement.  I immediately started looking at this concept as pertaining to my marriage.  Relationships are constantly in a state of transition and naturally, marriages will go through different seasons. It doesn't mean that it's healthy for a marriage to be "stuck" in a certain season and it never should because there is always room for progress.
Eric and I are definitely seeing the different seasons in marriages and we've experienced atleast a glimpse of each season, I think.  I'd say an "Autumn" season in marriage is one of uncertainty.  Maybe on the outside things look great but on the inside, things are falling apart.  Apprehension is setting in; sadness or disengaging emotionally.  I'd say that since this deployment has started, I've felt a lot of that. Just feeling distant- literally and emotionally. I think that a Fall season of marriage is the most dangerous.  But this doesn't mean that my marriage has to transition into the coldness of winter, though.  SOOO, I've decided to go straight to Springtime. :)  Filled with hope and optimism and gratitude and love and trust.  It's a time of new beginnings and open flow of communication.  This is something that I have to do- I have to be in this mindset for the rest of this deployment. The bible reassures us that there is always hope.  We need to let his love surround our marriage and encourage both Eric and I that better days are ahead. :)

"We put our hope in the Lord.  He is our help and our shield.  In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.  Let your unfailing love surround us, Lordfor our hope is in you alone."  - Psalm 33:20-22

No comments:

Post a Comment